Committee Structure & Responsibilities
WDBC Bylaws Article VII, Section 1, establishes two basic committee structures for the conduct and production of the Council’s ongoing operations and work products.
- Standing Committees include those essential to operations: Budget and Finance, Governance, Nominations, and Technical Practices.
- Other Committees (ad hoc) are created to serve a specific purpose or function by the Executive Committee or board of directors who define their powers and duties and dissolve them accordingly. The president shall appoint the chair of the ad hoc or other committees unless otherwise provided by the Council’s Certificate of Incorporation, these bylaws, or stated law. There are no term limits to those appointments. In a roll call of committee votes, no more than one (1) member vote will be counted.
Executive Committee – Chaired by the President
Members – Officers of the Council and the immediate past president serving as an ex-officio member
Responsibilities – During intervals between meetings of the board of directors, the EC is authorized to exercise any powers of the board except for those that are restricted by a resolution of the board. The president serves as the committee chair. In his/her absence, the first or second vice president will preside at all meetings. The EC meets monthly via teleconference.
Budget and Finance – Chaired by the First Vice President/Treasurer
Members – Current president, past president, treasurer, and operations manager
- Recommend policies on behalf of the WDBC relative to the management and investment of the Council’s finances
- Provide direction to the “Independent Investment Advisor” (IIA) regarding the overall investment strategy and management of WDBC funds
- Review and recommend action on the draft annual budget to be presented to the WDBC Board of Directors for approval at its annual meeting in December
- Provide oversight of the internal controls put in place for the WDBC’s finances by the operations manager
- Oversight of the Council’s annual audit or review conducted by a certified public accountant
- Work with the operations manager to produce additional revenue enhancing strategies
Governance Committee – Chaired by the Second Vice President/Secretary
Members – Three designated member firm representatives serving on the board of directors, one past officer, and one at-large director
Responsibilities – The Governance Committee works with the operations manager to ensure oversight of compliance with and updating the Council’s bylaws and that the roles and responsibilities of WDBC officers and committees are fulfilled in accordance with parliamentary practices. It also ensures that proper procedures are followed during all meetings.
Nominations Committee – Chaired by the Current or Appointed Past President
Members – Executive Committee. In the event that the current past president is unable to fulfill the role, the Executive Committee can appoint another past president to fill the position.
Responsibilities – The Nominations Committee is responsible for ensuring that the annual slate of officers is presented to the Executive Committee and board of directors for election at the annual membership meeting.
Technical Practices Committee – Chaired by John Doller (Carollo Engineers)
Members – WDBC members with interest in the development of best practices documents for the water design-build industry
Responsibilities – The Techincal Practices Committee ensures consistency of all technical documents produced by the WDBC, adherence to best practices of the design-build industry, and alignment with the Council’s mission. They provide support for the development and production of these documents that are used for educational, informational, and advocacy purposes.
Members – Member firm designated individuals responsible for communications, marketing, social media, and public relations
Responsibilities – The Communications Committee ensures that effective communications, consistent targeted messages, and collaborative integration and promotion of both the Council’s member firms’ water design-build projects and that of the Water Design-Build Council’s mission occurs.
- Participate in the development of an annual communications and publications plan
- Provide input to the ongoing enhancements to the WDBC website and effective use of social media
- Support the operations manager and communications manager with timely review of products being publicly released
Education Committee – Chaired by Leofwin Clark (Brown and Caldwell)
Members – WDBC members with interest in furthering the education mission of the Council
Responsibilities – The Education Committee develops and produces the course materials and implements an education and outreach program in conjunction with the Technical Practices Committee. The resulting products are directed to achieve best industry practices and fulfill the request of owners’ needs for education.
- Establish and market an education program for owners and industry members on best practices
- Outreach to owners regarding education opportunities
- Update WDBC education modules in conjunction with industry changes through the Technical Practices Committee
- Produce and support an educational outreach program through presentations, workshops, and forums
Research Committee – Chaired by Steve Gates (Brown and Caldwell)
Members – Technical Practices and other WDBC members interested in supporting the research mission of the Council
Responsibilities -The Research Committee recommends and produces research products that endeavor to benefit the design-build/CMAR industry and fulfill the mission of the Water Design-Build Council.
- Work with the operations manager to provide leadership direction and oversight of the defined technical research components as they are being developed
- Participate in the development, review, and formulation of all related documents
- Develop and provide input and direction to documents produced by the Education and Technical Practices Committees
- Support the operations manager with timely review of products and technical direction required for the Council’s decision-making process
Committee Authority and Duties
- No standing or ad hoc committee shall have the authority to bind the Council in a legal commitment.
- The chair or officer of each committee shall be available at each membership meeting and at board meetings to report on the activities which have been conducted since the last meeting and shall submit any recommendations, including requests for funding. The board of directors shall act upon requests for funding and may, at its discretion, override the approval of any program approved by the Executive Committee, and shall override and vacate such approval on advice of legal counsel.
- Agendas shall be prepared and minutes shall be kept of all meetings.
- Committees may make such rules as they see fit for the conduct of their own meetings which are not inconsistent with these bylaws or applicable to Council policies.
- Committee member alternates may be designated by the committee chairs or member firms and serve with the approval of the chair and shall have all rights of the committee member.